General Information

Licenses for GMRS are issued by the Federal Communications Commission. The FCC is located at 445 12th Street SW, Washington, D.C. 20554. General phone number is (888) CALL-FCC (225-5322) and FAX is (866) 418-0232.

The FCC is divided into bureaus, and the bureau that governs GMRS is the Wireless Telecommunications Bureau, phone (202) 418-0600, FAX (202) 418-0787. The bureau that enforces the Rules and Regulations is the Enforcement Bureau, which can be reached through the FCC general phone and fax numbers listed above.

The FCC web site is found at, and the Wireless Telecommunications Bureau page is found here. General information about GMRS is on this FCC web page.

FCC licenses for GMRS are now issued for 10 years, and require a $70 filing fee (as of September 26th, 2016) ($7/year). Renewals of 5-year or 10-year licenses likewise currently cost $70. The cost of the license is set by federal law passed by the United States Congress, not by the FCC. This fee is subject to periodic automatic cost of living increases. For more information on the fee, go to this NSEA page and also this NSEA page. A GMRS license allows you, and members of your family, (see §95.179 of the Rules and Regulations) to use UHF 2-way radios to transmit VOICE communications.

The complete current FCC Rules and Regulations for GMRS can be found at this U.S. Government Printing Office site. Note that GMRS is Part 95(A) of the FCC Rules and Regulations.

Applying for a License

In general the steps to get an FCC license for GMRS (Radio Service Code ZA) are:

  1. Obtain an FCC Registration Number (FRN) - FCC Form 160
  2. Apply for a GMRS License - FCC Form 605
  3. Pay the $70 fee - submit with FCC Form 159

There are 2 ways to apply: on the internet (online), and by mail on paper forms.

Electronic Filing

For paper filing scroll down

1)  For general information about online filing, click here.

2)  Click this page to apply for your FRN electronically.

3)  To begin the electronic application process, start here.

Paper Filing

For electronic filing scroll up

1)  The paper form to obtain an FRN, along with instructions, is FCC Form 160.

2)  Instructions and information about completing FCC Form 605 to apply for a GMRS license are found in FCC Form 1070Y.

3)  For the Application for a GMRS license (with instructions), download FCC Form 605.

4)  Instructions and the Form to submit payment of the $90 fee are in FCC Form 159.

We hope this helps you in getting your FCC license and call sign for GMRS. Good luck!!!!

NSEA is a Not-for-Profit Organization

© 2015-19
North Shore Emergency Association